The Dunce Cap, Vol. 34: Making time for ourselves and of ourselves isn’t love if we are selfishly prude. (click on link to listen to mix via 8tracks)
1. “The Weekenders” – The Hold Steady
2. “My Body” – Young the Body
3. “C’mon” – The Soft Pack
4. “You Oughta Know” – Das Racist
5. “Take Off Your Sunglasses” – Ezra Furman and the Harpoons
6. “Miss Teen Wordpower” – The New Pornographers
7. “I’d Have It Just the Way We Were” – White Denim
8. “If I Keep On Loving You” – Let’s Wrestle
9. “Chasing Pavements” – Adele
10. “Things Are What You Make of Them” – Bishop Allen
Oh hai, guys. I’m back two days in a row! It’s a non-Christmas miracle! And, to top it all off, I’ve got an 8tracks up on a Monday! Guys. This is a momentous evening.
But anyway. Enough gushing about punctuality and keeping promises. I’ve made this truly delicious mix, starting with one of my top three favorite Hold Steady songs (“The Weekenders” has pretty incredible lyrics – “She said the theme of this party’s the Industrial Age/And you came in dressed like a train wreck” seems to describe me in fairly great detail) and ending with a delightful Bishop Allen tune (“Things Are What You Make of Them” is allegedly about a really sour relationship). The year is winding down here, so I’ve got to be listening to some jams to get me through Reading Week and finals, and I think this mix is chocked full of ’em.
Not a whole lot more to say. There will be more on the way soon, I think and I hope and I wish.
P.S. This photo is of my dearest pup, Chaucer, provided by my mother. She’s been living sans television and Internet access since the fire, and she’s just had dear ol’ Buster Baxter for company. So, this photo’s accompanying text message?
“…and for this evening’s live entertainment, we have a golden retriever incessantly humping his bed.”
Classy as always.